Running isn't synonymous with fun for most people but that doesn't mean it can't be. The American Heart Association recommends 75 minutes of vigorous activity, like running, a week to keep heart disease away. Those minutes don't have to boring; here are 5 ways to make running fun so you enjoy yourself while reaping the health benefits that come along with it.
Run With Friends
What better way to have fun with your workouts than to bring your friends along for the ride.
- More likely to show up, and keep showing up, knowing your friends are waiting for you.
- Easier to keep your conversational pace because you're talking to your friends during your run.
- Set challenges with your friends: whoever logs the most time or runs the fastest mile gets a free dinner on the group for that week.
Goals are as unique as the person making them so don't be afraid to set as many as you'd like.
- Start with 10 minutes daily and add time each week as you feel comfortable. Eventually 10 minutes will seem like a warm up and you'll be itching for more distance.
- Pick a race date in the near future to set a goal and create a deadline to achieve it.
- Set short term goals to help you reach your long term goals.
- Keep track of your personal progress and let your competitive nature run wild as you try to beat your distance or time often.
Keep things fresh by changing up your route or workout regime. You don't have to drive across town or try the latest fitness craze to do so.
Watch TV On The Treadmill
Some days it's too hot or cold outside to run. You would prefer to lay on the couch and binge watch your favorite show. Take yourself to the gym and watch it while you run or walk. Most gyms have wi-fi or cable TVs on the equipment now so there's no excuse to skip out on your training.
Make A Playlist
Music may make Missy Elliot "Lose Control" but it will keep you motivated and your workout fun.
- Select songs based on the pace you want to keep.
- Know you lose steam 15 minutes into your run? Put your favorite song at the 15 minute mark to boost morale.
- Pick songs to get you on the track, stay there, and power through your workout.
Reap the health benefits associated with running by ensuring you exercise weekly. Stay motivated by keeping your friends involved, setting goals, changing scenery, and utilizing entertainment in your fitness journey.
Do you have tips to make running fun? What are you favorite songs to run to? Let us know in the comments and if there's a topic you want to hear about, let us know!
*** Originally published as part of a Ghost Writing Project ***